Overvoltage may occur in electrical installations for various reasons. It may be caused by:
- Fault in the distribution network as a result of lightning or any work carried out.
- Lightning strikes (nearby or on buildings and PV installations, or on lightning conductors).
- Variations in the electrical field due to lightning.
Like all outdoor structures, PV installations are exposed to the risk of lightning which varies from region to region. Preventive and arrest systems and devices should be in place.
SPDs are particularly important to protect sensitive electrical equipment like AC/DC Inverter, monitoring devices and PV modules, but also other sensitive equipment powered by the 230 VAC electrical distribution network.
Ambient temperature range °C: -40 To 80
Wire size : For Solid Cable
mm2 : 1×2.5…1×25
For Stranded cable
• Surge arrester for protection of DC side 600 V systems in photovoltaic applications.
1.Why solar systems need surge protection?
Solar arrays, like all electronic devices, are prone to surges in voltage that can harm components and increase downtime. Surge protection devices can help keep systems running and profitable.
2. Which type SPD is this?
This is Type 2. Which means Permanently connected SPDs intended for installation on the load side of the service disconnect overcurrent device, including SPDs located at the branch panel.
3. What is the IP rating of this?
This is IP 20. ie; finger-safe construction